Vijay, Samantha Ruth Prabhu, Sathish, Neil Nithin Mukesh, Tota Roy Chowdhury, etc.,Director:
George C WilliamsProduction:
Vijay escapes from a jail and take up the role of his look-a-like(a social activist) and fights against an MNC
When I heard that AR Murugadoss and Vijay are joining hands once again, I guessed something good was on the plate and that is exactly we see in Kaththi. Story:
Vijay plays a dual role Jeevanandham and Kathiresan. Kathiresan is a small time thief who escapes from a jail in Kolkatta and takes up the role of a social activist (Jeevanandham) and sends Jeevanandham to jail. Now what Jeevanandham does to combat against a corporate (to help farmers and make the city people realize the worth and need of farmers) is rest of the story.Positive Points:
1) Vijay - He has finally done a role that is tailor made for him. He surely deserves an applause for his acting and modulation in dialogue delivery. The film showcases the acting potential of Vijay very well. Though there are not much of physical difference shown on both the characters Jeevanandham and Kathiresan, Vijay has shown lot of difference in style and dialogue delivery.
2) Dialogues are very powerful
3) Focus on Social issue
4) Anirudh's Background Score
5) New modulation of the dialogue "I am Waiting" before the interval block
6) Coin fight where the hero attacks 50 men is first of its kind in tamil cinema
7) Almost all the stunts are choreographed well
8 ) Cinematography by George suits the movie perfectly
9) Very brave dialogues about 2g scam and Vijay Mallya's debts
10) Tunnel Scene and Blue Print VisualsNegative Points:
1) Samantha doesn't have any scope. The first scene where she asks pen from Vijay is very artificial. She has to improve her acting skills a lot.
2) Though the songs are good to listen, the placement of songs are very bad and so the visuals for some songs. This normally happens in all Murugadoss movies. The first song for vijay is Pakkam Vanthu, which i expected a lot and disappointed. This song is first of its kind in tamil cinema and it is a tailor made song for vijay. The choreography and visuals could have been better for this song. Vijay's dancing capability is not fully utilized on this song. I would say thumbs down for this song for visuals. Moreover just to shoot this song in airport, the director have created a screenplay where vijay goes to airport to fly bangkok. This looks very artificial. Instead the director should have avoided this song and the total airport episode. The next song is "Aathi" - a good duet at right time. The visuals are average and nothing much to rave about. Just after the interval the most awaited song "Selfie Pulle" pops up on screen. The visuals are good. But, the choreography could have been better for vijay.
3) The first 45 minutes of the film is really boring and many scenes were unwanted.
4) There are many logical loopholes
5) The screenplay could have been more crisp
6) Neil Nithin Mukesh is merely wasted. He is shown as an Amul Baby villain as shown in VIP.
Overall, Kaththi addresses a social issue in a unique yet typical Kollywood style! I would say this movie is a modern MGR kinda film with strong message conveying the importance of village and farmers. It is worth mentioning that this is one of the best movies in Vijay's career.Verdict:
Rusted Knife (When we look at a rusted knife, we may think it is of no use. But when it stabs a person, he will know the impact of it. Like wise though the first few minutes are boring, rest of the film makes a strong impact.)Rating:
Review Inputs given by Vikram, Vasanth and AK